[cups.general] perhaps I misunderstand printer discovery

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sat Jan 14 18:02:39 PST 2006

Jon LaBadie wrote:
> Is it possible, using some form of printer discovery, to accomplish what
> I'm trying?
> I.e. have each of the linux hosts print directly to the printers rather
> than a central
> print server?

You can't do it quite automatically, but you can rsync the /etc/cups
directory from a "master" system to each of the clients, and then
restart cupsd if any files change.

CUPS is actually designed to avoid configuring each system to talk
to printers directly, but to have one or more server systems
supporting one or more clients, with the clients managing their own
list of printers and servers...