[cups.general] Re: Legacy program printing epson FX emulation

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Jan 26 00:59:51 PST 2006

Hello,

On Jan 25 12:41 Dave Dubreuil wrote (shortened):
> Should this work for feeding to the top of the next sheet,
> or would it feed the paper a form's length from where it stops printing?

It depends on the printer what it does when it gets a formfeed
character.
The printers which I know feed to the top of the next sheet.

> What does this line do [ -n "$6" ] && exec <"$6" ?

See the comment "have the input at fd0 (stdin) in any case".
For details see the "bash" documentation.

> ... a way to input text to a queue and have it processed
> and printed as pages of text?

A printer model specific "System V style Interface Script"
could do it.
You may like to use "fold" to wrap too long lines
and "pr" to paginate and columnate for printing.

Kind Regards
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de