Blank output from PDF

Antony Gelberg antony at antgel.co.uk
Wed Jul 12 09:00:00 PDT 2006

Helge Blischke wrote:
> Antony Gelberg wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> When we try to print
>> http://www.companybarclaycard.co.uk/forms/Charge_Cardholder_App.pdf,
>> there is no output.  The printer whirrs as it wakes up from standby, but
>> prints nothing.  I have tried to debug this by running pdftops on the
>> file, but when I try to display the .ps, it comes up as a blank file
>> in gs.
>>
>> Can anyone shed any light on this?  We don't have problems printing
>> anything else.
>>
>> Antony
>
> I suspect the cause is that the PDF makes use of the JPXDecode filter,
> which
> is implemented only for PDF, not for PostScript. At our site, the file
> prints
> OK (CUPS 1.1.19 (!)), but we are using the alternate pdftops filter
> which uses
> the pdftops 3.01 from the xpdf suite.
>
> Try to convert your PDF to PS using that utility (must be 3.0x because
> of the
> mentioned filter) and print the resulting PS; let us know the result.

Thanks for your response.  It's the same story.

antony at lee:/home/wayforth/customers/oracle$ pdftops -v
pdftops version 3.01
Copyright 1996-2005 Glyph & Cog, LLC
lee:/home/wayforth/customers/oracle$ pdftops Charge_Cardholder_App.pdf
lee:/home/wayforth/customers/oracle$ lpr Charge_Cardholder_App.ps

The printer whirrs, but no output.