modify print job name

Antonis Tsolomitis atsol at aegean.gr
Fri Jul 14 08:23:35 PDT 2006

OK. So the script is in place and seems to work (thanks for the examples!) from inside the server with ps files. For example, I try (locally on the server) (assume that virtual printer is called msfax):

lpr -Pmsfax -J "Microsoft Word - 1234567.doc" file.ps

The above feeds the virtual printer with a ps file but the job name is of the
type MS-Word produces.

This works and sends the ps file to the real fax printer with the proper job name (1234567).
I.e. the script installed as the backend of msfax corrects the job name and then spools to the real fax with the corrected jobname. So far so good.

Now this must be made available to remote clients. The question is this:

The remote client must send a PS file. I thought that the proper way to do this is to create *Postscript* queue on the client, call it, say, mspsfax, that points to the msfax printer on the server.

When I try on the remote host

lpr -Pmspsfax -J "Microsoft Word - 1234567.doc" file.ps

I assumed that the system will take the ps file and forward it from the client's mspsfax
to the servers msfax. But I am wrong. It gets stuck with the message

"Unable to get printer status (client-error-forbidden)!"

on the web interface of the client.

The idea is that Word has to use its Windows driver to convert to postscript and then send this postscript file to the server with the erratic job name which I try to correct.

I know it is complicated but since Word does not cooperate I see no other way.

cheers,

Antonis.