Win XP/2000 clients prints junk after downloading dirver from print$ share

vinayan K P cups.kp at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 00:00:57 PDT 2006

Hello everyone,

I am new comer to linux, samba and cups. Its intersting and a lot of hard work. Now I got stuck at a point and I dont know how trouble shoot it.

Hope one of you would help me.

Let me explaing the scenario.  My idea is to do printing accounting for printouts from windows clients.

1--------------------------------------------
I am using

fedora core 4
cups-1.1.23-15.4
samba-3.0.14a-2
HP-LaserJet_6L-ljet4.ppd (Downloaded from linuxprinting.org)
cups-samba-1.1.16.tar.gz (the cups postscript driver for winNT/XP/2K)

2---------------------------------------------------

portion of smb.conf is like this

[global]
printing = cups
printcap name = cups

[printers]
comment = Printers others than the spefically mentioned one
path = /var/spool/samba
guest ok = no
printable = yes
use client driver = no
default devmode = no
admin users = root
browseable = no

[print$]
comment = printer drivers
path = /etc/samba/drivers
browseable = yes
guest ok = no
read only = yes
write list = root

3-------------------------------------------------------
THESE ARE THE STEPS I HAVE FOLLOWED

A) # tar xzvf cups-samba-1.1.16.tar.gz

B) # ./cups-samba.install

C) # cp /usr/share/drivers/cups.hlp /usr/share/cups/drivers/

Then I followed 15 instructions in PRINTING SUPPORT IN SAMBA 3.0 manual

I installed the printer using

1. # lpadmin -p 6lacc -v socket://192.168.0.10:9100 -E -P  \
     /etc/cups/ppd/HP-LaserJet_6L-ljet4.ppd

and I could print ASCII files using lp or lpr and graphics from openoffice to the printer from my FC4 system.

Then I followed the other instructions in the chapter,

like putting all required driver files in to samba's [print$],

used adddriver to tell samba that these are driver files,

verified samba recongnizes the driver,

used setdriver to tell samba which printer should use these driver files,

verified that samba has this association recognized,

Installed the printer in an XP client by using the connect option by right clicking the printer in the network neighbourhood and changed the print setting for the printer from portrait to landscape, applied the changes, and then changed the settings back to portraing and applied the chages.

After all, when I printed a test page from the XP client, I printed only junks..... it took few days for me to come to this stage, at least to get something printed from XP client.  I was trying  cupsaddsmb command initially and it took me nowhere but to sheer frustration. But the rpcclient and smbliclient manual method is much easier, though this also took some time for me to get a feel of how rpcclient and smbclient works.

Further, the XP client printing doesn't seems going to the pstops filter as /var/log/cups/pages_log only shows only one page for each test print i tried which consists of more then one pages .  But if i print from my FC4 system where the printer is installed shows the correct number of pages printed.

Now, I would be really greatful if  someone could help me to get a proper printout from an xp/win2k/98 clients using the [print$] share option and get the number of pages printed correct in /var/log/cups/pages_log file from the XP/2K clients.

Thanking you in advance

Regards

Vinayan