cups-polld - dies from incorrect use of FD?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Jul 18 07:02:50 PDT 2006

angelb wrote:
> At any rate, I think stdin, stdout, and stderr should either go to
> syslog or error_log since cupsd and cups-polld are non-interactive
> processes. Doing it this way may just fix the problem... :)

No, none of that is the issue - background processes usually
disconnect from the current console/tty, and in the case of the
cups-polld programs stderr is redirected to a pipe that feeds
back into cupsd so it can log things to the error_log file.  That
is also how filters, backends, CGI programs, etc. are handled by
CUPS...