SNMP printer discovery documentation?

John A. Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Wed Jul 26 09:10:00 PDT 2006

> What is the output if you run /usr/lib/cups/backend/snmp from the
> command line?

Pretty much as expected - I've been reading Article #387.

> Could it be that your distro (Debian?) has no "snmp" in your backend
> directory (and disabled it by putting it into a "backend-available"
> one)?

It has snmp there, readable and executable by root except when I've
experimented by chmod-ing it 000 to prevent 40 minute delays starting admin.cgi. Also, I'm using Solaris.

> What's the content of your /etc/cups/snmp.conf file (sans the
> comments)?

I've not created this file - all my printers have an SNMP read-only community name of "public" - though I've changed their read-write and trap community names.

> What are the IP addresses of printers which you expect to discover
> (and are not yet installed on the system)?

There's just one of these, an HP Colour LaserJet 4500N. I don't think that is relevant, the printer has worked fine for many years, and backend/snmp reports it sensibly. It's firewalled from the outside world, so that information is of no use to you. What would you have looked for?

> What is the output of "ifconfig" on your system?

It's as expected. What would you have looked for?

> Cheers,
> Kurt

Many thanks for your helpfulness - I simply have to continue looking at these problems myself, and learning about CUPS before I put it into production use here. I've kept an eye on it for some years, but never made the leap. Mail, web and printing are the three services which if disrupted or altered in functionality would cause the greatest user upset here!

John A. Murdie