ADVANCED HELP NEEDED on CUPS + WindowsClient->ipp/samba

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Thu Jul 27 01:00:13 PDT 2006

nuno inĂ¡cio <n.inacio at sapo.pt> wrote (Thursday 27 July 2006 08:59):

>> <Kurt Pfeifle> wrote:
>> As long as you use official Dapper packages, you haven't.
>>
>> Ubuntu has forked CUPS sources, and patched them to run cupsd as
>> user "cupsys", not root. This does imply all kinds of twists to
>> standard CUPS behavior. And you can't even use "RunAsUser No"
>> like it used to be, when this option was still officially part
>> of CUPS (in the 1.1.x series).
>>
>> Also, browse.conf and ports.conf are not standard CUPS.org config
>> files. It's an Ubuntu tweak (but it utilizes the "Include" config
>> directive supported by CUPS).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Kurt
>
> Thaks Kurt. I've notice those differences. Also you are the first
> to answer to any of my post troughout the foruns wich isn't a good
> sign for me. They use a cupsys:lp on pidfile and a cupsys:lpadmin
> on the logs.

Yes, I know.

But doesn't hurt anywhere AFAIK. It's just another proof that their
fork is not very well thought out and executed.

> I added the user to lp, lpadmin, cupsys and shadow
> groups (yes, it's desperate). no effect.
>
> So my question maintains:
> why windows client spool doesn't show jobs on the server using IPP?

I have not (yet) looked into this (no appropriate Windows system
around here right now)...

But be aware, that Microsoft's so-called IPP implementation is based
on IPP 1.0 (which never made it into an official standard, only into
a "draft"), not IPP 1.1 (which *is* an officially recommended IETF
standard). Also, MS use their own Windows authentication scheme
(which is not exactly famous for its interoperability) for their
secure IPP 1.0 printing (to be fair, IPP 1.0 papers do not at all
talk about authentication, that only has been added into IPP 1.1).

Cheers,
Kurt