[cups.general] [Fwd: [Printing-user-general] Why has nothing changed?]

Bernd Krumböck krumboeck at universalnet.at
Sun Jul 30 03:13:40 PDT 2006

Komal Shah wrote:

> What you think people?

Why hard working people must vindicate themself, whereas lazy idiots will be
promoted in the same time?

I'm only an interrested CUPS user, so this are only my private thinkings.

> Two years ago, Eric Raymond posted his experiences with CUPS:
> http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/cups-horror.html
> in which he points out, with specific examples, that CUPS is a nightmare
> to configure.

This is a wrong interpretation, because he tries to configure CUPS with a
third party administration tool. Using other administration tools will
produce other results.

CUPS is also not responsible for the lack of network knowledge. --> this
issue can't be fixed by a software or engineer

> Today, in 2006, it is obvious to anyone who looks at the forums that CUPS
> is *still* a nightmare to configure. Practically no progress has been made
> in 2 years.

Yes, I forgot the old users wish:
I want to change the world with a simple "mouse-tap" (Mausschubser)!   ;)

Feel free to solve this issue, or at least make suggestions how this could
be done.

> What needs to change is not just the unusable documentation and
> misleading GUI.

Same again. --> I didn't found a German translation in CUPS 1.2 --> I simple
created one.
We can talk the whole day about how we can make the world better, or we can
simple do it!

> Example 1:
> "Did you make sure you checked the CUPS man pages ? The most important
> ones are
> those for lpadmin, lpr, lp, lpc, lpq, lpstat, cupsd.conf, lprm . At the
> end of
> most man pages you might be pointed to other man pages. Go read them too."
>
> My response:
> You mean I need to read an unspecified number of 'man' documents but at
> least
> *eight*, IN ADDITION to the CUPS manual, just to configure a printer?
> GET OUT!!

Man pages should not be used as replacement for the documentation!

For all other examples/problems/... create a feature request and make good
suggestions how this can be implemented.

> Time to fork the CUPS project?

I don't understand how this should help.

Everybody in the forums tries to help and the developers of CUPS does a good
job! If there are people which are able to do it better, why they want to
fork and don't try to help?

best regards!
Bernd Krumböck