[cups.general] cups server not found!

Bernd Krumböck krumboeck at universalnet.at
Sun Jul 30 03:45:02 PDT 2006

>          That's what I get after I had installing my Lexmark X1185 on
>          Ubuntu
> Linux 5.10. They say on their cups doc that "for safety reasons you can
> not do administrative tasks on this interface" and
> I didn't get my printer working...I've ever tried
> System->Admin->Printing..."cups server not found" is the answer.

This is a CUPS forum, for Ubuntu specific things please contact the Ubuntu
project.

Please check if cupsd is running:

ps aux | grep cupsd
lp        5064  0.0  0.5   6864  1160 ?        Ss   09:24
0:00 /usr/sbin/cupsd

If you don't get similar results please execute
/etc/init.d/cupssys start

Check if cupsd is listening to the network:

netstat -atn | grep 631
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:631             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN

best regards!
Bernd