[cups.general] [Fwd: [Printing-user-general] Whyhas nothingchanged?]

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Jul 31 08:21:27 PDT 2006

wtautz wrote:
> Michael Sweet wrote:
>>>
>>> Two years ago, Eric Raymond posted his experiences with CUPS:
>>> http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/cups-horror.html
>>> in which he points out, with specific examples, that CUPS is a nightmare
>>> to configure.
>>> My response:
>>> Debug mode and a logfile are debugging tools for the developers. No
>>> user should ever need to go near either of them.
>> While I agree that ordinary users shouldn't have to look at the log
>> files, they are not just for developers.  Administrators and support
>> people also need the log files to diagnose configuration and
>> installation problems.
> Michael, Would it be possible to have a per queue log files setup? Kind
> of like lpr does. It's a bit of a pain to hunt through the log files
> which to
> a certain degree is misnamed since 'error_log' implies it should ONLY log
> errors when the reality it logs a lot more depending on the value of
> loglevels.

"error_log" and "access_log" come from Apache, and we modeled the
cupsd program and files very closely on Apache on purpose.  You can,
of course, give the logs different names...

As for providing separate log files per printer, there are some
scaling issues to consider (one file per active printer...) as well
as how to expose this in a secure way.

Can you file an enhancement request on the CUPS web site and include
all of your ideas:

     http://www.cups.org/str.php

Thanks!