printer fault! no idea what may be wrong

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Sun Jun 4 12:26:34 PDT 2006

Mario S. Mommer <mommer at moss-clad.net> wrote (Sunday 04 June 2006 18:33):

> Sorry to reply to myself but I wanted to include some additional info.
>
>> D [04/Jun/2006:17:31:33 +0200] [Job 266] LPGETSTATUS returned a port
>> status of 10... W [04/Jun/2006:17:31:33 +0200] [Job 266] Printer fault!
>
> This, as it seems, only happened once. Now what happens is that I add the
> printer (via the CUPS web interface) and everything seems to work. If I
> try to print the test page, the test page ends up in the queue, but
> nothing is printed.
>
> In http://localhost:631/printers/
>
> the printer is shown as
>
> hp_LaserJet_1005_series_USB_1 "Printer fault!"

What does "lpstat -p hp_LaserJet_1005_series_USB_1" say? Is the
printer disabled after a problem? Does it help if you change the
"ErrorPolicy" for the backend to "retry-job"? (For a reference,
see http://localhost:631/help/ref-printers-conf.html )

> with no additional information. The /var/log/cups/error_log file shows no
> entry.

In cupsd.conf, set

  LogLevel debug

and restart cupsd:

  /etc/init.d/cupsys stop;
  /etc/init.d/cupsys start

Now you should see more debugging output written by CUPS. To gain
more debugging output written by *foomatic-rip*, edit foomatic-rip
itself (it's a Perl script;  somewhere at the top 200 lines you
should find a variable named "my $debug = 0" -- change it to "1").

> Any help would be appreciated.

Again, the right forum for all Foomatic-related problems is at
Linuxprinting.org!

> Regards,
>        Mario.

Cheers,