printer fault! no idea what may be wrong

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Jun 5 06:32:15 PDT 2006

Mario S. Mommer wrote:
>> Mario S. Mommer <mommer at moss-clad.net> wrote (Sunday 04 June 2006 19:41):
>>> "foomatic-rip --ppd temp/foo2zjs/PPD/HP-LaserJet_1005.ppd test.ps >
>>> /dev/usb/lp0"
>>>
>>> does indeed print the test.ps file.
>> In this case, the device URI which is used by your CUPS for that printer
>> may be at fault. What is the output of:
>>
>>    lpstat -v hp_LaserJet_1005_series_USB_1
>>
>> ? If it is *not* "/dev/usb/lp0", try to set it to that value, using
>> the lpadmin command:
>>
>>    sudo lpadmin -p hp_LaserJet_1005_series_USB_1 -v usb:/dev/usb/lp0 -E
>>
>> That should help.
>
> It doesnt. It says "Unable to open USB device "usb:/dev/usb/lp0": Success". Which I personally think is a bit of a scandal. And if you google for that, it turns out that URIs of this form are no longer supported, "largely because those device names are not stable [...]".

It would be really useful for you to submit a bug report on this.
We should be displaying "no such device" or something along those
lines instead of "success".

Unfortunately, the recent HP driver updates include a USB backend that
unloads the standard kernel USB printer driver, preventing our backend
from working at all.  We have a patch for CUPS 1.3 that will use the
low-level kernel interface in the USB backend, which works around this
issue, however at present you can't use the HP drivers with the
standard CUPS USB backend...