[cups.general] Re: printer fault! no idea what may be wrong

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Mon Jun 5 07:24:02 PDT 2006

Michael Sweet wrote:

> It would be really useful for you to submit a bug report on this.
> We should be displaying "no such device" or something along those
> lines instead of "success".
>
> Unfortunately, the recent HP driver updates include a USB backend that
> unloads the standard kernel USB printer driver, preventing our backend
> from working at all.  We have a patch for CUPS 1.3 that will use the
> low-level kernel interface in the USB backend, which works around this
> issue, however at present you can't use the HP drivers with the
> standard CUPS USB backend...

This LaserJet (and in general the LaserJet 1000, 1005, 1018, 1020 and
Color LaserJet 1500, 1600, 2600) are not supported by HPLIP, so they do
not use the "hp" backend, but the usual kernel-module-based "usb" CUPS
backend. See also

http://foo2hp.rkkda.com/
http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/
http://foo2oak.rkkda.com/