Feature request: mandatory "Job-Billing" entry

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Jun 5 08:04:06 PDT 2006

Alexey Lobanov wrote:
> Hello.
>
>> Strange, since "job-billing" is part of the printing preferences
>> (in the devmode structure) and thus can be set per-job.
>
> I agree. Sorry for mistake. Anyway, it does not help: it is too ineffective to enforce an user to visit "Printing preferences" at every job. People won't do it.
>
>> I'm not sure if there would be a way to force the user to enter a
>> value here, since the print dialog may never get invoked...
>
> In my understanding, it should be a way, because this driver works in user space and it seems to be possible to add a simple dialog to cupsps.cpp. Somewhere here:

That doesn't guarantee that you can open a window on the right
screen, as the driver would open a window on the main console which
isn't correct for remote terminal use.  There is also the issue of
privilege separation (even on Windows!) which may cause the driver
dialog to fail mysteriously.

Writing an IPP port monitor to use with the driver might be a way
around this - the "file" device is able to ask for a filename when
you print, for example, however I don't know if that works via remote
login.

Anything we'd do would need to work with both local and remote
display configurations...