[cups.general] hidden config file for printconf

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Mon Jun 12 08:37:02 PDT 2006

pierre.frenkiel at apc.univ-paris7.fr <pierre.frenkiel at apc.univ-paris7.fr>
wrote (Monday 12 June 2006 17:00):

> On Sat, 10 Jun 2006, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>
>> CUPS has all config files in [install-dir]/etc/cups/* for sure.
>> If you want to replicate configurations, don't forget to replicate
>> the contents of etc/cups/ppd/* (which holds the driver description
>> files); if your RPMs aren't for the same system/version, you'd
>> also have to check if ESP Ghostscript is present everywhere, and
>> if the CUPS filters and backends are the same in the subdirs of
>> /usr/lib/cups/{filter,backend}
>
>    it's what I wanted to do, and I checked that it works. The only
>    frustrating thing is that damned system-config-printer tools (a Redhat
>    speciality I suppose) which continues to show a printer that I deleted
>    from all files known config files.

Just shooting into the fog now...

Have a look if there is a /etc/cups/lpoptions or a $HOME/.lpoptions
file for the user; .lpoptions is written if someone uses kprinter,
xpp or some other tool and tells it to "save" the current print
options (I assume your users don't use the commandline to set stuff
into the .lpoptions file...). And no, the .lpoptions entries are not
deleted if a printer is deleted...

>    Up to now, it was a Linux
>    characteristic to do not hide config files, and I'm still surprised
>    that nobody can answer this question.

As I see it, you got all questions you *asked* answered, and some
unasked ones too, based on guessing the question  :-)

>> --->  However, are you sure you do *at all* want to copy
>> --->  the configs to every machine?
>       of course: we want to grant access to all printers  to all users
>
>> If you were familiar with CUPS, you'd know you can setup one
>> single CUPS print server, and all your clients do pick up all
>> . . .
>
>    I know that (you have just to enable the "sharing" on the server
>    side, and on the client side to choose "IPP" as queue type,

Wrong!
(wrong about the need to choose a queue type at all on the client)

On the client, you don't need to setup a queue *at* *all*. The client
only needs a running cupsd, an empty client.conf, and in cupsd.conf
this:

   Browseing Yes
   BrowseOrder Deny,Allow
   Deny From None
   Allow From All

to see *all* printers from *all* CUPS servers.

The *server* of course should be configured to have

   Browseing Yes
   BrowseAddress @LOCAL

and give the appropriate access permission in the

   <Location /printers> .... </Location>

(and maybe the AuthType) so the client can print.

>    with
>    "browsing on" ) That's perfect for a workstation, but not for a laptop,
>    for which you want to have a different config according the location.

If you do it like I outlined above, it is perfect for a mobile, roaming
laptop as well :-)

>    For example, I have a D-link print server at home which knows lpd, but
>    not IPP

If you don't have a CUPS server at home (i.o.w. if your laptop is its
own CUPS server), just set up a local queue on the laptop that connects
to the D-link via lpd. No harm for the Browsing to work if you are in
a different environment.

> cheers,

Cheers,
Kurt