[cups.general] HP2100 / new CUPS woes

Peter Stickney pstickney at pvpsc.com
Fri Jun 16 08:48:15 PDT 2006

My goal is to just setup a couple of HP LaserJets on my linux server
with CUPS.  I had some success previously, but at the moment, I am
running into walls.

The Printers:
1 HP LaserJet 2200 - a network printer on a windows 2000 pro workstation.
1 HP LaserJet 2100 - a network printer on a windows 2000 server

The Linux Box:
Slackware 9.0
Kernel 2.4.20
CUPS 1.2.1
The HP2200 is setup to use the PPD from linuxprinting.org [
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_2200 ]
The HP2100 is using another driver from the same site [
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_2100 ]

Setting up the printers through the CUPS web interface was not a
problem.  I set them up as samba printers and all is well with that.
They are both detected "idle, accepting jobs, published. "  That is
pretty much where my success ends.  When I try to print a test page to
the 2200, which is the one next to me, I get "Unknown operation
"print-test-page"!"

Up until the start of this week, I was using CUPS 1.1.23 with limited
success.  The HP2200 worked fine, but the 2100 wouldnt print anything.
A test page would print one or two lines and then countless blank pages
until I canceled the job.

I was hoping upgrading would fix the issue, but it has actually set me
back, in that neither printer will print now.

 From the server "lp -d HP2200 file" returns lp: Bad Request.

I can provide more information as needed, I hope this rings some bells
in some people's heads and is something obvious that I am missing here.

Thanks

-peter