Can't compile espgs, can no longer print

Gary Krupa accordeoniste at avenuecable.com
Sun Jun 18 18:37:58 PDT 2006

> Gary Krupa <accordeoniste at avenuecable.com> wrote (Sunday 18 June 2006
> 04:21):
>
> > Help! I installed CUPs and it replaced my LPRNG configuration.
>
> Which operating system are you using? If it's Linux, which distro?
> Which version?

Slackware linux v. 2.4.18.

> > So I can no
> > longer print that way. When I tried to compile espgs to enable printing to
> > my non-postscript printer, it terminated with an error message.
>
> Which error message exactly?
>
> (Unfortunately mankind's ability in guessing such things is rather
> limited.)   :-)

Here's the message:

/bin/sh <./obj/ldt.tr
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so: `sys_nerr' is deprecated; use `strerror' or `strerror_r' instead
./obj/gp_unifs.o: In function `gp_open_scratch_file':
./obj/gp_unifs.o(.text+0x1e0): the use of `mktemp' is dangerous, better use `mkstemp'
/usr/i386-slackware-linux/bin/ld: warning: libm.so.5, needed by /usr/lib/libstdc++.so, may
conflict
with libm.so.6
./obj/imain.o: In function `gs_main_tempnames':
./obj/imain.o(.text+0xef7): undefined reference to `rpl_malloc'
./obj/icc.o: In function `icmAllocStd_malloc':
./obj/icc.o(.text+0x2a5): undefined reference to `rpl_malloc'
./obj/jbig2.o: In function `jbig2_default_alloc':
./obj/jbig2.o(.text+0xd): undefined reference to `rpl_malloc'
./obj/jbig2_huffman.o: In function `jbig2_huffman_new':
./obj/jbig2_huffman.o(.text+0x11): undefined reference to `rpl_malloc'
./obj/jbig2_huffman.o: In function `jbig2_build_huffman_table':
./obj/jbig2_huffman.o(.text+0x27f): undefined reference to `rpl_malloc'
./obj/jbig2_huffman.o(.text+0x29f): more undefined references to `rpl_malloc' follow
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so: undefined reference to `__ctype_b'
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so: undefined reference to `errno'
/lib/libm.so.5: undefined reference to `__getfpucw'
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so: undefined reference to `_fxstat'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [bin/gs] Error 1

> > I tried to
> > reactivate LPRNG with apsfilter setup and received a message that I'm
> > missing libsstdc++.so.5, so it won't work. I can't find that library
> > online.
>
> * If you are running SUSE Linux 10.0, it is part of a package called
>   "compat-libstdc++".
>
> * If you are running SUSE Linux 9.x, it is part of a package called
>   "libstdc++".
>
> * If you are running (K)Ubuntu or $Debian, it's a package called
>   "libstdc++5".
>
> More I don't know. More precise answers you'd get faster if you
> provided precise info about your problem+environment.

I just upgraded to gcc v. 2.95 and installed a newer version of ESP Ghostscript from the distribution CD. Now when I try to run ghostscript or the apsfilter setup I receive this error:

gs: error while loading shared libraries: libXt.so.6: cannot enable executable stack as shared object requires: Error 14

And when I tried to print from the CUPS administration page on the www there was a message that no pages were found.

So I can't run ghostscript, which is probably why CUPS won't work.

> > Can someone guide me to either using CUPS or re-installing LPRNG?
>
> Why don't you use the pre-build packages of your distro vendor?
>
> > I'm a newbie with CUPS and I'm feeling rather lost at this point.
>
> I'm a newbie to your system, and I'm feeling lost too, because I
> know nothing about it.
>
> > Thank you!
>
> Cheers,
> Kurt

Thanks, Kurt, for offering to help. I don't know whether I should install the entire Slackware linux distro 10.2 to get this to work, or whether simply installing other programs from the distro, in addition to gcc, would be enough. I know this is a complicated problem to resolve, so any help you can offer would be much appreciated. Hopefully I've given you enough information about my system that you won't feel as lost  as I do.

Best wishes,
Gary