quota limit reached

Gary Krupa accordeoniste at avenuecable.com
Wed Jun 21 07:01:01 PDT 2006

I'm using slackware v. 2.4.18. My printer is an Epson stylus color 850. I compiled CUPS successfully from source.  All the software appears to be properly installed for CUPS to work. On the administration test page it says that the device URI is epson:/dev/lp0, and that the state is idle, accepting jobs, published.

Yet when I've tried to print from the administration web page, I've received various error messages and the test page wouldn't print. Lately the message has been "quota limit reached". I set quota parameters in the printers.conf file: QuotaPeriod 604800, PageLimit 100, and Klimit 32768. And still I've been seeing the quota limit error message.

And when I tried to print something from the command line, i.e. lpr <filename>, there was this message:

 sending job 'root at Sunshine+387' to lp at localhost
 connecting to 'localhost', attempt 1
 connected to 'localhost'
 requesting printer lp at localhost
 job 'root at Sunshine+387' transfer to lp at localhost failed
  error 'NONZERO RFC1179 ERROR CODE FROM SERVER' with ack 'ACK_FAIL'
  sending str '^Blp' to lp at localhost
 error msg: 'spool queue for 'lp' does not exist on server Sunshine.avenuecable.com'
 error msg: '   non-existent printer or you need to run 'checkpc -f''

Can anyone help me fix this so that I can get the printer to print? I tried finding the answer in the administrator manual, to no avail.