Network printing

Bernd Krumböck krumboeck at universalnet.at
Fri Jun 23 11:31:06 PDT 2006

csarid at yahoo.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a cups server setup on one subnet and all linux machines on that
> subnet are able to browse and share the printers from that server
> automatically. however, I have a group of other linux machines on a
> completely different subnet and those machines are not able to browse
> accross the subnet to see the printers. I tried issuing the "allow from
> nn.nn.nn.nn" for each system in question in the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and
> restarted the cups server on cups server and the systems on the other
> subnet, but this still does not work. Is ther anything else that must be
> done in order to allow browsing across subnets?
>
> Thanks!

Please post all important lines from your cupsd.conf:
"cat /etc/cups/cupsd.conf|grep -v ^#|grep [:alnum:]"

Also it would be helpful if you better describe your network topology.

In the meanwhile I do some assumptions:

case 1:
*) your server send broadcasts
*) there exists a router between the CUPS server and the other subnet

This is not possible, because a router blocks all broadcasts, so the packets
never reach the clients. (some routers can forward broadcasts or do similar
operations --> I use this method on some cisco routers)

CUPS 1.2 can resolve printers through LDAP. Maybe this is an option for you.
(I've not tried yet)

case 2:
*) your server send broadcasts
*) there exists no router between the CUPS server and the other subnet
*) CUPS server has also an IP address in the second subnet

You need following entries:
Listen xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:631
BrowseAddress xxx.xxx.xxx.255  (for class C network)

best regards!
Bernd