[cups.general] is there a cups.schema for ldap?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Jun 27 09:07:34 PDT 2006

wtautz wrote:
> Michael Sweet wrote:
>> wtautz wrote:
>>> Walter, I notice that cups can talk to ldap. I presume this is for the
>>> purpose
>>> of configuring printers? Perhaps it can do authentication too? Perhaps
>>> the opposite
>>> process works, i.e. cups-->ldap. At least one gets this impression when
>>> reading
>>> the documentation?
>>>
>>> For printers has anyone configured printers in ldap and had cups
>>> successfully configure
>>> itself?
>> No, the current LDAP support is only for advertising printers from a
>> server and not for storing configuration data.
>>
> I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean ldap can store a list of printer
> names and
> and apps can look in ldap for this list? Can you give an example of
> using the
> parameters in cupsd.conf?

The on-line help is the only documentation at present; perhaps the
original author of the LDAP patch can speak to this, but basically
all the LDAP browsing does is add/remove/modify the list of shared
printers for a given server with the printer name, type, description,
and make-and-model - the same information that is passed for SLP and
the CUPS protocol (and in the future, DNS-SD aka Bonjour).

 From the client's standpoint, the local cupsd handles all of this
transparently - applications continue to use the CUPS_GET_PRINTERS
request (usually via cupsGetDests()) to get the list of available
printers.