cups-polld uses 99% cpu time

angelb angelb at bugarin.us
Wed Jun 28 10:56:15 PDT 2006

> Michael De Vlaminck wrote:

> >> Quick fix: upgrade or install CUPS 1.2.1
> >>
> >> I've also ran into the same issue and CUPS 1.2 appears to have the
> >> fix.
> >>
> >> Good luck.
> >>
> >> Angel
> >>

> > is there also a way do fix it without upgrading?
> >
> > thx
> > Michael
>
> Or perhaps instead of polling the server you should relay the
> printer packets to the subnets of the clients and have
> them listen for the packets. Just a thought.

It doesn't matter whether you're using polling, browsing, or relaying,
the clients will still have to process the incoming packets. It is in
that process that causes CPU to spike specially in a large environment.

I've never really had problems with 200+ printers on a client but when
we have more than 500, you'll see a significant CPU use. If you have
more than 1000+ printers, then you'll in for it big-time; you may have
to poll only once-a-day preferrably when the system is most idle.

I'm putting a lot of faith into CUPS 1.2 but at the moment, my testing
hasn't gone well. Clients(AIX and Solaris) polling crashes while
polling the server. I've submitted an STR but I hope it's just an error
in my configuration...well soon see.

Like most users, I was hoping there was a fix to this in 1.1 but it's
addressed only in 1.2....correct me if I'm wrong.

Angel