Postscript detected as app.../vnc.cups-raw

Dave Smith smithd at mercyships.org
Thu Mar 2 05:53:41 PST 2006

> Dave Smith wrote:
> CUPS always searches the shortest (lowest cost, sum of the cost factor
> of all filters) filter chain. The the second rule can break things as
> any file would match RAW. Raise the cost factor of it to 2000 or so, so
> that only if there is no chance to match the first the second will be used.

Ok, though I guess that as all workstations will be printing using the windows cups driver, that shouldn't be an issue right, as it always sends postscript?

> In addition, foomatic-rip usually expects PostScript as input,
> especially it will not work when feeding PCL into it. It will detect a
> non-PostScript format and pass it through a2ps (this is a feature
> forseen for non-CUPS spoolers, which do not convert input files), which
> in most cases leads to the file being printed as plain text. Under CUPS
> use only "application/vnd.cups-postscript" as input for foomatic-rip.
Ok, I paused the printer when I sent a file to print, looked at the file that was in the queue, and it appears to me to be valid postscript. It begins %!PS-Adobe-3.0...

> Are you using CUPS 1.2? If so, update to the newest subversion state, as
> some days ago a bug in the file auto-typing was fixed.
I'm using the following on Redhat ES4
cups-1.1.22-0.rc1.9.8
cups-libs-1.1.22-0.rc1.9.8

Dave