[cups.general] Cups Admin problems

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Mar 7 01:57:06 PST 2006

Hello,

On Mar 6 11:41 Russf wrote (shortened):
> I found the password problem, printmgr had changed the autorization
> back to the default instead of Digest for Admin.

I never heard about this.
I assume you use a very old cupsd.conf (before Suse Linux 9.0)
where cupsd runs as root with "Basic" authentication, see
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printer_Configuration_from_SUSE_LINUX_9.0_on

> In displaying the webpage source for Admin some parts are not being
> displayed, even though the code appears to be there. I noticed in
> cupsd.conf there is supposed to be a /usr/share/cups/doc

Your cupsd.conf doesn't match to your installed cups RPM.

For example in my Suse Linux 10.0 cupsd.conf there is
# DocumentRoot: the root directory for HTTP documents that are served.
# By default "/usr/share/doc/packages/cups".
#

#DocumentRoot /usr/share/doc/packages/cups
I have /usr/share/doc/packages/cups/* in the cups RPM.
I don't have any "/usr/share/cups/doc" (neither in cupsd.conf
nor in the cups RPM).

I assume you updated from an older version and because an update
cannot be allowed to simply overwrite cupsd.conf, it uses the old
cupsd.conf but it installs the new one as a .rpmnew file.

As you have Suse Linux 10.0, you should either set
  DocumentRoot /usr/share/doc/packages/cups
in your old cupsd.conf or try the new cupsd.conf.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de