[cups.general] CUPS: must remove lpr ?

Russf russbucket at nwi.net
Thu Mar 16 07:56:01 PST 2006

Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Tuesday 14 March 2006 18:10, Anonymous wrote:
>>I read somewhere that installing/using CUPS requires
>>that the entire lpr system be removed or somehow
>>disabled. This sounded a bit scary to me. Now
>>(2006) I wonder if it is true. Can anyone enlighten
>>me?
>>
> As just a user, I went thru this same hell, and that IS the right word,
> several years ago as I didn't understand that (ANAICT) cups totally
> replaces all lpr/lprNG functionality with like-named versions of its
> own.  Once I understood that, and nuked lpr/lprNG from my system
> forever, life has, generally speaking except for a major debacle at
> about 1.1.17-18 (IIRC) between kde and cups that crashed several
> versions of kde bigtime, has been very good.  Upgraded finally to
> 1.1.19 and wall was well and has been since, and currently running
> 1.1.23 essentially flawlessly, and since my printer is an epson,
> foomatic has also been expunged.  Cups + gutenprint-5.0.0-beta2, and
> now gutenprint-5.0.0rc2 have Just Worked(TM).  For everything.

I've been trying to install gutenprint 5.0.0rc2 (for Epson CX6600 filter)
but keep getting errors. I My printer prints from OpenOffice, and some
times from lpr but will not prints from kde or scribus. Is there a good
document on what cups stuff needs to be removed. the readme, news, install
is a little unclear to me. I'm using SuSE 10.0, Cups 1.1.23.
do I need to uninstal the stp drivers? how about the -rpath? I'm alitttle
confused by the instructions. Any help would be appreciated.
--
Russ