How to verify print job is complete before sending next job, in CUPS?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Mar 20 12:39:24 PST 2006

Byron Stanoszek wrote:
> I am having a problem with print files queueing up to a VP 2020
> printer. This printer supports the HP JetDirect protocol via port
> 9100.
> They said this can be accomplished on Windows by going to printers &
> faxes, view properties for the driver, select "tools" or "status",
> then "status monitoring".  Once in this screen, checkbox "Show Print
> time errors", uncheck "Check status before sending a job", and check
> "Verify job complete before sending next job".
>
> This seemed to fix the problem under Windows, however I am unable to
> find a similar method in CUPS.
>
> How can I do this in CUPS? I can use the latest beta version if
> required.

Well, since the "JetDirect protocol" is just a raw socket interface,
there is little we can do to duplicate the Windows port monitor
functionality.

What we'd need would be the specifications for the protocol the
Windows driver is using (it could just be a PJL layer or something
similar over port 9100) in order to support it natively in CUPS,
probably via a custom backend.

Alternatively, if the printer supports IPP, you'll get this for
free already since the IPP backend is specifically written to only
send one job at a time...