[cups.general] More details concerning "stopped with status 255"

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Mar 24 09:06:19 PST 2006

On Friday 24 March 2006 09:11, Anonymous wrote:
>In addition:
>It happens under Mac OS X.2.8 when doing big printing jobs (so sad I
> haven't got a Postscript printer). I couldn't find any "cups error
> table" anywhere, and it seems that this error 255 is generic. How can
> I know more about what's happening? I wonder something for a long
> time:When asking to print several copies of a document to a
> non-Postcript printer, is this document sent several times or is it
> send one time with an command telling the printer "print it x times'

Take a second and think about the logistics of the printer cacheing all
that data, in a printer that may sell for less than $100 USD.  Since
the average printed page in a decent resolution can reach to over 100
megabytes for the total amount of data sent to the printer, more when
its a full color image for much of the page, does one really expect the
printer to cache 5GB of data for the 2nd copy of a 50 page document?
Its not going to happen, so its up to the driver software to handle
that cacheing and resending for the additional copies.  How it does
that, like printing 50 copies of each page before going on to the next
page, or 50 copies of the whole booklet one at a time, is up to the
driver and how its configured.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: