CUPS 1.2rc1 - CPU load

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Mar 30 11:15:15 PST 2006

angelb at bugarin.us wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I've downloaded and installed CUPS 1.2rc1 and loaded it with 1167
> printer queues. That's the number of printers we currently support
> under 1.1.23.
>
> I've noticed that when starting CUPS on the server, CPU load increases
> as much as 100%. See the following:

Um, yeah, you'll see that even with 1.1.23.  The initial loading of
the PPD files and job history takes time, and while cupsd does its
work it will get most of the CPU.  Once everything is setup, it lays
idle until requested to do some work.

1.2 *should* be faster loading and use less memory than CUPS 1.1.x,
particularly with large amounts of job history.  The only bit that
hasn't been fully-optimized is the PPD loading, but that won't
happen until 1.3 when we add a PPD attribute cache...