Is there a driver for Canon PIXMA IP4200?

Robert S robert_s at emailme.net.au
Mon May 8 04:31:18 PDT 2006

I am considering purchasing the above printer - to be used through a Netgear USB print server.  I run gentoo linux on an AMD64 platform.

Is there a CUPS driver available for this printer?  I've seen the following options:

A gutenprint driver for the IP4000.  Would this be compatible with the IP4200?

An .rpm at ftp://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/bj/linux/cnijfilter-ip4200-2.60-1.i386.rpm.  This contains a .ppd file and appears to be a driver for this printer.  I'd need to somehow install this into gentoo linux and I don't know if this would be possible.  Would the .ppd file be sufficient by itself?

Turboprint.  I'm not keen on paying for a driver when I've just bought a printer!

Anyone out there had any experience with this printer?