[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #1665: 1.2 does not automatically detect parallel printers any more, while 1.1 did

martin.pitt.canonical martin.pitt at canonical.com
Mon May 8 04:56:28 PDT 2006

[STR New]

Hi!

In Ubuntu we have several reports about parallel printers not being
automatically detected any more. [1] is the prime example, but since it's
very long, I summarize the important bits here: Manually configuring a
parallel printer and printing to it works fine, but it's not automatically
detected any more (shown in 'lpinfo -v', gnome-cups-manager, etc). This
apparently worked fine with 1.1.x.

We also tested this with plain upstream 1.2rc3, so it's not due to the
Debian/Ubuntu patches. lpinfo -v shows

network socket
network beh
network bluetooth
direct hp:/no_device_found
network http
network ipp
network lpd
direct parallel:/dev/lp0
direct canon:/dev/lp0
direct epson:/dev/lp0
network smb

(i. e. no particular detected parallel printer)

The error_log with LogLevel=debug2 is at [2].

Thank you in advance!

[1] https://launchpad.net/bugs/29050
[2] http://librarian.launchpad.net/2490736/error_log

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1665