[cups.general] Q. Is https required for remote administration?finally worked, see details

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri May 19 10:40:49 PDT 2006

wtautz wrote:
> Now I seem to be able to connect and I was able to connect after
> accepting the certificate
> and remote administration via http://servername:443 works!

Great!

> Perhaps a bug should be filed against the package to the Ubuntu
> maintainer? It sounds like
> the /etc/cups/ssl directory has to be made, especially since they linked
> cupsd to libgnutls?

Well, the scheduler makefile isn't creating the directory either,
so I'd appreciate an STR for this on the CUPS site:

     http://www.cups.org/str.php

> Also it took ages to get it to generate the key. There appears to be a
> report at
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/cupsys/+bug/44931/+viewstatus
> similar to my complaint. Also,
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/cupsys/+bug/45099

Yeah, it *does* take some time to create the key and certificate.
Not sure there is much we can do, but the Linux distros can certainly
automate this in their installers so that the certificate is created
at install time rather than at run-time (and certificates can be
shared for email, web server, ssh, etc.)

The run-time certificate stuff is simply an attempt to make sure that
CUPS and encryption can work out-of-the-box.