Remote connection from IBM/VM needs port 721

Craig M. Houck chouck at binghamton.edu
Tue May 23 10:48:36 PDT 2006

I am trying to get a remote connection from IBM/VM that says it needs port 721 to print to connect to my Debian Linux CUPS print server.

I have added the following lines (in various combinations) to my /etc/cupts/cups.conf file.

#Listen 128.226.30.57:721
#Listen 127.0.0.1:721
Port 721
BrowsePort 721

along with and sometimes not the following:
Port 631

I do an nmap -sS -O -F <cups printer server IP>
and NEVER have it see port 721 open!

How do I make my CUPS printer server to 'listen' on port 721 for print request?
OR what do I need to have done to the IBM machine?

THANKS in advance
Craig
chouck at binghamton.edu