[cups.general] ADD HP1005 & HP2300 to my DEBIAN

wu lin wulin0012004 at yahoo.com
Sun May 28 19:53:52 PDT 2006

Hi, I'm using the DEBIAN system, and have problem while I add HP2300 and HP1005 to my system.

1). I have a HP 2300 as network printer. I can add the printer with CUPS to my system, and it seems OK while I print the test page, and also within openoffice. However, I cann't use it in other programs, adobereader,  xpdf, gv, ..... The status showed in the CUPS are:

HP LaserJet 2300 Foomatic/hpijs -- HPLIP 0.9.10
Location:
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs.
Device URI: socket://166.111.xxx.xxx:9100

While I try to use Adobe reader to print something, the Status says: lpq: lp1: unkonwn printer.

2). I try to connect my HP1005 in my DEBIAN system. I know that HP1005 is not designed to be used in LINUX, but I check www.linuxprinting.org, and it seems that it should be able to work with foo2zjs. I download the foo2zjs and install, and add the printer with CUPS. The CUPS can find the driver for HP1005. However, I just cannot print the test page. Here is the message from CUPS:

Printer State: processing, accepting jobs.
"Printer not connected; will retry in 30 seconds..."
Device URI: usb:/dev/usb/lp0

However, I cann't find /dev/usb/lp0 .

Can anyone tell me how to do? Thank you.

Best regards,
Jinzhi.