[cups.general] CUPS: How to Block Color Printing?

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Wed Nov 29 09:17:59 PST 2006

ricardo oliveira wrote:
> Hi again:
>
> Sorry. I've sent you the incorrect PPD. But I have here the correct.
> The correct comes as KOC450U.ppd and it was downloaded from konica
> minolta web site. the RPM name is KMPU1.7-REDHAT-INTEL.RPM.
>
> After that I add a printer (MYPRINTER) in the redhat-config-printer
> and choose driver from KONICAMINOLTA. That will create a MYPRINTER.ppd
> in /etc/cups/ppd ... but this file that it is created its differente
> from the KOC450U.ppd that I imported to redhat-config-printer!
>
> What's happening here? Can you tell me?
>
> The KOC450U.ppd I use to import to redhat-config-printer has this entry:
> *DefaultSelectColor: Color
> But the MYPRINTER.ppd file that is created when I had a printer does
> not have it!
> I'll attach both files for you to check them!
>
> I must tahnk you a lot for all help you're giving me...
>
> Ric
>

>> Well, the PPD you attached is NOT the original vendor supplied PPD,
>> it is for a different printer; and the C450 is a color device.
>>
>> You should download the PostScript driver package for the C450 from
>> the Konica Minolta web site and extract the PPD from there.
>>
>> The correct PPD should contain statements like
>> ---snip---
>> *OpenUI  *SelectColor/Select Color: PickOne
>> *OrderDependency: 10 AnySetup *SelectColor
>> *DefaultSelectColor: Color
>> *SelectColor Color/Color:  "<</ProcessColorModel /DeviceCMYK>>
>> setpagedevice"
>> *SelectColor Grayscale/Grayscale:  "<</ProcessColorModel /DeviceGray>>
>> setpagedevice"
>> *CloseUI: *SelectColor
>> ---snip---
>> To set b/w mode, you should (by editing the printer's PPD in
>> /etc/cups/ppd or
>> by lpadmin or by the web interface ("Configure Printer" button))
>> modify it to
>>
>> *DefaultSelectColor: Grayscale
>>
>> Helge
>>
>> PS: BTW, did your printer print anything? Depending on the printer's
>> configuration
>> (by the service guy) it needs a bunch of PJL statements containing
>> user ID and
>> authentication keys (e.g. "PUBLIC" for unrestricted use). I mention
>> this as I
>> had to to some tweaks to get our C250 (which is a similar, a bit
>> slower device)
>> working with CUPS.

I think the redhat-config-printer uses its own printer information databases
and always generates foomatic based printer configurations and thus creates
PPDs of its own.

The RPM you downloaded from Konica Minolta should contain a
proprietary set of filters and utilities, among them an installation
and configuration script. If you use that, the b/w modification I
mentioned earlier should work. But the setup provided by Konica Minolta
bypasses CUPS' pstops filter. If you need all CUPS features with that printer,
and your printer is NOT configured for restricted use, I could send you
a modified PPD and a filter script that generates the necessary PJL
statements.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke