[cups.general] CUPS Quota and LDAP

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Thu Oct 5 14:15:34 PDT 2006

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 04:10:06PM -0400, wtautz wrote:

> Jerome, How does your system compare to esup-print, i.e. what can
> he do that yours does not and vice versa?

I believe that esup-print is more complete, and probably more
complex than PyKota. I'm not sure esup-print works without
other esup modules, or without an LDAP server for example.

Esup-print has a really really great (IMHO) ACL system to manage
access to printers.

On the other hand, PyKota is probably much more versatile, it can be
adapted to almost anyone's needs easily, mostly by allowing the admin to
plug-in his own scripts and use standard system tools (like cron for
example) to manage PyKota's datas.

Purely on the print accounting side, PyKota is far better in my not
so humble opinion.

What differentiate both systems also, is that esup-print was
originally designed to entirely and perfectly fulfill the needs of a
single site, and it seems it does very well, while PyKota was
probably not designed at all ;-) but can be made to work for many
more people more easily.

To open a flamewar I could add that esup-print relies on Java, which
sucks, and PyKota on Python, which rules ;-)

I should probably add that I've never tried esup-print, but I've
looked at the code and documentation a few months ago.

The text above is probably partisan opinion, but it's my opinion
anyway.

Anyone from University of Rennes 1 caring to comment ?

bye

Jerome Alet