Retaining printers.conf when updating CUPS

John A. Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Fri Oct 13 06:14:48 PDT 2006

> On Oct 13, 2006, at 4:46 , John A.Murdie wrote:
>
> > Can I ask where the 'Printer Options' which I set in the web
> > interface are recorded permanently by CUPS - these are all added to
> > printers.conf, are they not, along with the basic printer
> > configuration details?
>
> You also want classes.conf and lpoptions.
>
> Some printer options go in printers.conf; others go in either the ppd
> file or in lpoptions, I'm not entirely sure.  (I generally configure
> from the command line, where it's more obvious:  lpadmin edits the
> ppd file, lpoptions the lpoptions file.)
>
> --
> brandon s. allbery

Ah, my problem is that I've never seen an 'lpoptions' (or 'lpoptions.conf'?) file. (I don't have any classes yet - just trying to get used to CUPS basic operation before I introduce anything fancy.)
There's no 'lpoptions*' file in my CUPS 1.2.4 installation or its /var directory (other than the lpoptions command and its manual page).

John A. Murdie