trying to configure xerox phaser 3117 printer on fedora core 5

Russbucket russbucket at nwi.net
Mon Oct 16 08:43:08 PDT 2006

vidyadhara buddhiraju wrote:

> I was trying to configure xerox phaser 3117 on fedora core 5. The
> configuration says it works fine.
>
> (from localhost:631).
> But the test page always aborts.
>
> Then I deleted the printer and tried to add the printer through the
> command line
>
> #lpadmin -p Phaser3117 -E -v usb:/dev/usb/lp0 -m
> #/etc/cups/ppd/Phaser-3117.ppd
>
> The thing fails
> lpadmin: add-printer (set model) failed: server-error-internal-error
>
> I am not able to decipher any of the documentation on the web or the cups
> documentation that came with the installatino of cups with fedora.
>
> Is there any hope of printing something from linux.
>
> regards
> vidya
vidya I installed a Xerox Phaser 6120N yesterday on a SUSE 10.0 system, usb
interface, with absolutely no problems. I don't know about Fedora but on
SUSE I just copied the .ppd from Xerox for this printer
to /usr/share/cups/model/Xerox.

Then I went into YaST and it found the printer, I told it to use the ppd and
then went to CUPS (localhost:631) and made it the default printer. Printed
fine and also installled on Windows XP with no problem. I have not tried
getting the printer server which comes standard with it running yet.

I just looked at the the .ppds from the Xerox download file and I do not see
one for a model 3117. You may want to try asking on the following news
group: printing-user-xerox at lists.freestandards.org

Sorry I cannot help more.
Russ