Contant printer timeouts disabling printers

Paul Raines raines at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Wed Oct 18 09:44:44 PDT 2006

I am constantly finding my most busy printers auto disabled with large backed up queues.  Looing in the error log this always happens after a line like

I [18/Oct/2006:09:34:20 -0400] Started backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/lpd (PID 4042) for job 47300.
W [18/Oct/2006:09:39:20 -0400] [Job 47300] Remote host did not respond with command status byte after 300 seconds!

Just doing a cupsenable on the printer always makes it just go again.

I recently upgraded to RHEL4 from RH7.3 going from LPRng to CUPS and never had such problems.

The printers are all standard HP network printers.  I have tried changing from using JETDIRECT to LPD to communicate with the printers with no change in the problem.

I have tried changing the "Timeout" setting in cupsd.conf to 600 but continue to get the error saying 300 seconds so that appears not change the timeout for this issue.

Does anyone know what may be causing this?  Or anyway to make the timeout longer?  Or some way to get CUPS to just retry again a few minutes later and not disable the printer?