Bad request line from client

M Singh singh.madhusudan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 10:57:51 PDT 2006

Hello

I am trying to set up printing from a client machine.

Server machine : Debian testing running the latest cups Debian packages. cupsys-bsd is also installed. lp and lpr are both available from the command line.
Network printer I am using : socket printer called bglab running over port 9100

Printing from console works perfectly. No problems there.

The problem starts when I try to set this machine up as a print server for an Agilent 4156C Semiconductor Parameter Analyzer. The firewalls are fine and the IP address of the 4156C is in a zone with ports 515, 631 open to it. /etc/cups/cupsd.conf is listening to the eth0 IP address on port 515 and 631. It also has an Allow From line for the IP address of the 4156C.

When I issue a print command from the 4156C, I get the following line in my error log on the cups server :

E [19/Oct/2006:13:44:41 -0400] Bad request line "b" from xx.xx.xx.xx! (just hiding the IP address of the 4156C).

I have tried to set up the client both with BSD (options -h -l) and as SystemV (options -h -o raw). I get precisely the same error.

I have also tried changing the name of the printer queue on the client from bglab (just in case "b" is coming from there) to something else (bound to fail but this was a test) but the error is still the same. Nothing to do with the name of the queue and possibly braindead request from the client.

What does it mean and how do I fix it.

Thanks.