[cups.general] system-config-printer?

Todd and Margo Chester ToddAndMargo at gbis.com
Sun Oct 22 14:53:41 PDT 2006

Michael Sweet wrote:
> Todd and Margo Chester wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>>     I love that little system-config-printer utility that
>> ships with CentOS 4.4 (same as Red Hat Enterprise Linux,
>> except cheaper and less condescension).
>>
>>     What is its relationship to the CUPS organization?
>> Is it a sub project?  Does it have a web site where its
>> progress can be follows and updates downloaded?
>>

> system-config-printer is a Red Hat creation and is not affiliated with
> the CUPS project in any way.

It is a slick utility.  I set up four remote printer on HP 501x print
servers and shared
them to the network in less than three minutes.  Much easier to use than
the web utility that
comes with cups.  Everyone should have access to this utility, not just
Red Hat users.
(I had to use CUPS with the web admin on Friday: I nearly pulled my hair
out!)

Idea, approach Red Hat on making it part of the CUPS distribution.
Anything
that makes cups easier to use is a good thing.  :-)

-T