Evince collate+copies+duplex bug

John A. Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Thu Oct 26 10:34:10 PDT 2006

> John A. Murdie wrote:

> >>I have yet to perform the same exercise with the Evince problem - I'm still not sure that that one is not CUPS or my CUPS configuration.
> >

> > Umm, perhaps it is something to do with my CUPS configuration. Using CUPS 1.2.4 (I still have not had time to upgrade to 1.2.5), I find that the command:
> >
> > lpr -Ppp23 -ocopies=2,Collate=True doc.pdf
> >
> > prints two uncollated copies (duplexed, per queue default, with queue default being Collate=Off) to an HP LaserJet 8150dtn with the PPD file: http://www.linuxprinting.org/download/PPD/HP/mono_laser/HP_LaserJet_8150_Series.ppd
> >
> > I got the '-oCollate=True' from http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/options.html
> >
> > Any suggestions for what else to look at so I can debug this?
> >
> > John A. Murdie
> >

> That is just what I was goint to suggest right now. I just downloaded
> Adobe Reader 7.0.8 (I need it for Solaris, had a 7.0.1 before), and,
> indeed, it belches out the selected page range (or all pages)
> times the number of copies specified in the printing dialog
> without making sure that each copy MUST have an even page count
> when printing duplex.
>
> But specifying the copies (eigher using "-o copies=2)" or "-2"
> when using the default lpr command, it sorks ok.
>
> Really, it is a Reader bug. It would be easy to "repair" the PostScript
> code but that is due to the Adobe folks.
>
> Helge
>

> --
> Helge Blischke
> Softwareentwicklung
> SRZ Berlin | Firmengruppe besscom
> http://www.srz.de

Yes, of course. Once I saw the PostScript, I was sure that it was an Acrobat Reader (7.0.8?) bug - and the work around is as you suggest.

However, this thread was about the similar Evince (0.6.1?) problem I've encountered. In looking at this, I can't be sure that it is not because collation is failing for this printer - see above.

John A. Murdie