Evince collate+copies+duplex bug

John A. Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Thu Oct 26 10:56:03 PDT 2006

> John A. Murdie wrote:
> > lpr -Ppp23 -ocopies=2,Collate=True doc.pdf
>
> Don't separate options with commas, just option values.  Try:
>
>      lpr -Ppp23 -o copies=2 -o Collate=True doc.pdf
>
> or:
>
>      lpr -Ppp23 -o "copies=2 Collate=True" doc.pdf
>
> --
> Internet Printing and Document Software          http://www.easysw.com

Yes, my apologies, that fixes collation from the command line. So, this problem does appear to be an Evince 0.6.1 bug. I've now had a look at the Evince-generated PostScript with the Collate box ticked, and the page order is wrong - page1/page1, page2/page2, ... If you don't tick the Evince Collate box the output PostScript contains two copies of the document one after another - page1..page13, page1..page13. With default duplexing on the printer queue, this will give rise to the same problem as with Acrobat Reader 7.0.8. If one 'prints to file' with Evince, choosing copies=2, no-collate but with duplex one still gets two copies in the file with no intervening blank page.

The sense of the Evince Collation tick box is inverted.

This one is not a CUPS bug, either. Reported to Evince buglist.

John A. Murdie