[cups.general] cups on GenToo can't print pdf files

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Fri Oct 27 04:19:12 PDT 2006

Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can anybody P L E A S E  help me with the following problem.
>
> I have been running CUPS (an older version) for a long time and
> directly printing a .pdf file posed no problems.
>
> Now I have switched to GenToo, tried CUPS versions
> 1,1,23-r8 and 1.2.5.
>
> In both cases - directly printing a pdf file -
> seems to send invalid postscript to my print.
>
> My printer has original Adobe Postscript level 3 support.
> One version of cups produced
>
> ERROR: configurationerror
> OFFENDING COMMAND: setpagedevice
>
> Version 1.2.5 now poduces
> ERROR: undefined
> OFFENDING COMMAND: obj
>
> STACK:
>
> 0
> 3
>
> How can I intercept the file that is sent to the print to
> look at it?
>
> What might bei the reason for my problems?
>
> When I convert the .pdf file to a postscript file by
> acroread or ghostscript, the generated postscript file
> prints just fine.
>
> Many thanks for a hint,
>
> Helmut Jarausch
>
> Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
> RWTH - Aachen University
> D 52056 Aachen, Germany

The first error message (I presume the 1.1.x CUPS)indicates that there is
an active option that the printer refuses to handle, I suspect the wrong PPD
for the real printer.

The second message indicates that the PDF has been passed directly to the
printer. Maybe the PPD contains a statement like

*cupsFilter: "application/pdf 0 -"

or the like, but the real printer either cannot directly process PDF
or lacks the necessary equipment (presumably a hard disc).

Please post more information about the respecive printer (PPD, make and model).

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung