Windows clients of CUPS - newbie question

Robert Gruener rgruener at online.de
Fri Sep 22 04:14:22 PDT 2006

John A. Murdie wrote:
> Can someone point me to an introductory document about having Windows XP clients of CUPS (with a CUPS server on Unix, actually Solaris). One rather nice thing about Unix/Linux clients of a CUPS print server - which clients themselves run CUPS schedulers - is that one need not configure the printers on each client (which fact is very familiar to CUPS users). I'm not a Windows administrator, but there are some Windows XP desktops here, and it would be nice to have them auto-configure printers just as our Linux desktops now do.
>
> Can this be done without Samba? I suppose that the problem here is having Windows printer drivers provided automatically to the desktops. With Samba - which we do run here - is there a Samba component or configuration which can be used to transfer print requests from Windows clients to the CUPS print server?
>
> John A. Murdie
You do not need samba for using the windows printer wizzard.
Just select the print server and the desired printers to use with
windows.  Of course the windows user can edit the printer options.
Unattended installation under windows can be done with your normal
windows tools, whatever you may use for the distribution of win
applications (snapshot, zen, image, etc).

--

Gruss / Cheers

Robert