IPP printing to HP 5610

Rouble rouble at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 09:29:22 PDT 2007

Hi All,

I have installed an HP 5610 on a FC6 linux server. I have setup cups to allow network printing to this printer. There is no samba in this installation.

So, I can now print via IPP to:
http:/example.com:631/printers/printername

This works great.

My issue is installing the drivers on multiple Windows XP boxes is a pain. Even if install all the _huge_ executables that come with HP5610, I can't see the driver in the list of drivers, when I add a printer.

My questions:
- I thought that the driver would probably be like a small file. Do I really need to download and install HP's 300 MB files, everytime I want to install this network printer?

- Is there a way I can push the HP5610 driver to the client pc's?

- Is there another generic driver that I can use to print to this printer?

tia,
rouble