Problem with Short Names?

Ken Tanzer ktanzer at desc.org
Thu Apr 19 16:47:54 PDT 2007

We've got three machines running CUPS, all on the same subnet.  Machine A is  our primary server, where all the print queues are defined.  Machines B & C are user machines that connect to the queues on A.

Machine B displays the remote queues with short names, as in "myprinter".  Machine C displays the queues as "myprinter at a", and we can't figure out why, or how to change this behavior.

We tried using the "BrowseShortNames Yes" option on machine C, and it doesn't seem to help.  Machine B doesn't have this option specified, but it still does short names.   Machine C is running a newer version of cups (1.2.10) than Machine B (1.2.8).  I don't know that it matters, but Machine B = Ubuntu, and Machine C = Fedora.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?  Thanks in advance.

Ken