MS WORD Filter for CUPS

nvngyl ngoyal at newgen.co.in
Thu Apr 19 23:54:24 PDT 2007

> nvngyl wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I have developed a custom backend and backend.conf and a global .ppd file. I have associated it with CUPS and installed it with a new printer name. It is working fine when i print any MS Office file by opening it or by right click option. But when i try to print MS office files using command line ie lp -d <PRINTER> msword.doc file. I am using iMAC machine with 10.4 version. Please let me know if somebody has an idea.
> >
> > regards
> > nvngyl
>
> You could download and install openoffice (version 2.2 has been
> releases recently), set up a special printer using
> the spadm utility (select Acrobat Distiller as PPD
> and set /usr/bin/cat as the print command, and tag this
> printer as default printer),
> then hack a script which conforms to CUPS' filter spec,
> which needs do to the following:
>
> SAL_DISABLE_CUPS=1; export SAL_DISABLE_CUPS
> soffice -invisible -p name_of_the_word_document
>
> (I'm too lazy to hack the complete script in here).
>
> Of course you need to add this stuff to the mime.types
> and mime.convs files (or your own foo.types and foo.convs)
> accordingly.
>
> I have tested the mentioned basics; it works for OO 2.x
> (x >= 0).
>
> Helge
>

> --
> Helge Blischke
> Softwareentwicklung
>
> H.Blischke at acm.org

Thanks Helge Blischke,

and Sorry for my ignorance, i am new in MAC arena.

But i could not get your point, i am able to print MS office files from the MS office associated applications but from command line i am not been able to do that it just convert MS office files to empty .ps files. why it is happening ?

and how do i select Acrobat Distiller as PPD
and set /usr/bin/cat as the print command, and tag this
 printer as default printer),
 then hack a script which conforms to CUPS' filter spec.

please let me know in detail.

thnaks in advance
nvngyl