one-page-at-a-time

Kurt Pfeifle kurt.pfeifle at infotec.com
Mon Apr 23 06:04:39 PDT 2007

> +++ Michael Sweet [06/03/07 13:41 -0500]:
> > Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:

>> So, check your driver settings against the settings on the printer -
>> I'd guess you have a mismatch...
>
> I am still having to hit the Continue button after each page. I
> print to my Laser Jet iiip from two machines, one running Xp, other
> running native linux and virtual win98se. Jobs from either XP or
> 98se print all pages without any need to intervene, yet, ANY job
> from linux, always requires intervention. This is why I believe that
> the settings on my Laser Jet are just fine, and that there is a
> problem at my linux machine, which is sending the wrong
> information.

Read again what was adviced before: "check your driver settings against the settings on the printer" for mismatch. It looks like your Win boxen drivers do match the printer setting, while your Linux one does not.

> Any further ideas on how to proceed?

Post the output of the following commands:

 lpoptions -d your_printer_name
 lpoptions -d your_printer_name -l

These will give us an idea what the default settings are for your printqueue.

Tell us what paper size you want to print on. Tell us what paper size is loaded into the printer (for each paper tray, if there is more than one).

Tell us, which specific paper tray you want to use (if there is more than one).

Last: test, if this command variation does work for your purpose:

 (a) if you want to print on Letter paper:
     lp -d your_printer_name -o PageSize=Letter /path/to/printfile

 (b) if you want to print on A4 paper:
     lp -d your_printer_name -o PageSize=A4 /path/to/printfile

 (c) if you want to print from the upper tray:
     lp -d your_printer_name -o media=Upper /path/to/printfile

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS