[cups.general] one-page-at-a-time

Dr. Scott S. Jones scott at fyrenice.com
Wed Apr 25 08:25:07 PDT 2007

> >> So, check your driver settings against the settings on the printer -
> >> I'd guess you have a mismatch...
> >
> > I am still having to hit the Continue button after each page. I
> > print to my Laser Jet iiip from two machines, one running Xp, other
> > running native linux and virtual win98se. Jobs from either XP or
> > 98se print all pages without any need to intervene, yet, ANY job
> > from linux, always requires intervention. This is why I believe that
> > the settings on my Laser Jet are just fine, and that there is a
> > problem at my linux machine, which is sending the wrong
> > information.
>
> Read again what was adviced before: "check your driver settings against the settings on the printer" for mismatch. It looks like your Win boxen drivers do match the printer setting, while your Linux one does not.

I assume the output below shows what my driver settings are, or as those
commands report them. Where else can I check my driver settings, for any
possible mismatch?

> Post the output of the following commands:
>
>  lpoptions -d your_printer_name
>  lpoptions -d your_printer_name -l
>
> These will give us an idea what the default settings are for your printqueue.

Here's output from lpoptions -o sethlaser

job-sheets=none,none printer-info=laserjetb&w printer-is-accepting-jobs=1
printe
r-is-shared=1 printer-make-and-model='HP LaserJet 3P w/ PCL5 Foomatic/ljet4
(rec
ommended)' printer-state=3 printer-state-change-time=1177458745
printer-state-re
asons=none printer-type=143364 media=Letter

As well...

scott at fyrenice:~$ lpoptions -d sethlaser -l
PageSize/Page Size: *Letter A4 11x17 A3 A5 B5 Env10 EnvC5 EnvDL EnvISOB5
EnvMonarch Executive Legal
PageRegion/PageRegion: Letter A4 11x17 A3 A5 B5 Env10 EnvC5 EnvDL EnvISOB5
EnvMonarch Executive Legal
InputSlot/Media Source: *Default Tray1 Tray2 Tray3 Tray4 Envelope Manual
Resolution/Resolution: 75x75dpi 150x150dpi *300x300dpi
Dithering/Floyd-Steinberg Dithering: Normal *FSDithered

> Tell us what paper size you want to print on. Tell us what paper size is loaded into the printer (for each paper tray, if there is more than one).

I want to print on US Letter, 8.5" x 11"... I have the lower cassette tray,
which is loaded with US Letter paper. There is only one tray.

> Tell us, which specific paper tray you want to use (if there is more than one).

I only use the lower cassette, or I may insert a few sheets in the MP Tray
for short jobs.

> Last: test, if this command variation does work for your purpose:
>
>  (a) if you want to print on Letter paper:
>      lp -d your_printer_name -o PageSize=Letter /path/to/printfile
>
>  (b) if you want to print on A4 paper:
>      lp -d your_printer_name -o PageSize=A4 /path/to/printfile
>
>  (c) if you want to print from the upper tray:
>      lp -d your_printer_name -o media=Upper /path/to/printfile

As I do not print on A4 size paper, and have no Upper Tray, I tried option
a) and the result from this >> lp -d sethlaser -o PageSize=Letter letter >>
was the following:

'letter' is the name of a template letter
the lp -d ... command was issued in 'letter's diretory
output was my laser jet, waiting, with the Online OFF (it was ON before
sending this print job) and the Continue light beneath is On, which required
me to hit Alt+Continue to have the job print out, i.e., No Change, in
issuing the above print command.