printing from MacOS to central cups server fails

Gregor Friedrich gregor.friedrich at biotec.tu-dresden.de
Thu Dec 6 13:05:57 PST 2007

Hello list

we are establishing a new central print server running on SuSe Linux 10.2 with updated cups 1.3.33. The server offers printing via samba for Win
clients and cups IPP for Linux and MacOs clients.

At first we have to printers connected: Ricoh Acficio CL 7000 PS and
Kyocera Mita FS 9120 DN.

The samba part ist running fine:, raw printing with PS and PCL drivers works.

The Linux and Macos client are connected via client.conf and all the printers are visible.

>From MacOS (10.3.x and 10.4.x) we can print to the Kyocera BW, expept PDF files! To Ricoh (color) we cannot print, the jobs are marked finished on the cups server, but the never will get printed nor we can see it on the Webinterface of  the printer!

We tried to recover the error and we could see that MacOS is sending PDF data to the cups server and the server is sending PDF to the printer as well (captured with tcpdump...) although we can see a starting filer pdftops in the log file (mime.conv + mime types are cups default).

We tried several PPDs for the Ricoh (Shipped with Mac drivers, WIndows Drivers, Linuxprinting.org)

When we setup the printer local on the Mac then the printing is working with the Mac cgpdftops filter.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks Gregor